We are a creative homeschooling family of 3. I have homeschooled my 2 boys from the start and we do lots of unit studies and get out into our beautiful part of the world as often as we can.
As the boys are getting older and we are getting busier I find I am posting less about our journey but will continue to update occasionally.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yaegl significant Aboriginal cultural sites


The boys and I have started our new year of homeschooling.

Mr12 is starting high school level work at home and Mr7 is doing year 2-ish work. We are using some wonderful curriculum materials and the boys are very keen to use it.

One of the topics we are doing is Australian History and using 2 different spines-

Our Sunburnt Country from Downunder Literature

and

Australia, the wide brown land for me! from Adnil Press



we are starting out with Aboriginal history and headed off today on a tour of our local Aboriginal Peoples Significant sites. Our local mob are the Yaegl people around the lower Clarence but we might also look at Bundgalung people who traditionally occupied land north of the mighty mighty Clarence Rv and spend some time with some Gumbaynggirr people who have a wonderful cultural centre at Arrawarra and a yummy bush tucker cafe.

Our tour today was a self drive one


and we picked up a little pamphlet from the Maclean tourist info at Ferry Park


We learned so much
this is Ulugundahi Island behind the boys
it was an aboriginal mission in the early 1900s and Ulugundahi means ear in the local Yaegl language because the island is shaped like an ear.


This is Reedy Creek, the first Goorie camping area in Yamba
Mr7 thinks the semi permanent structures on the beach would be much nicer to live in back then than the big brick residences that dominate this lovely area today.





walking through our magnificent coastal bushland

we ended up on some magnificent beaches


and the boys found some sticks!

Mr12 had to test out his strength, picking up huge logs and rocks and pushing and pulling at everything he thought might budge.

So this was our wonderful homeschool classroom this afternoon

3 comments:

karisma said...

Awesome! Your curriculum ideas sound interesting. I might just check them out. I am feeling that my Mr 13 needs a bit of direction in his learning. I gave them the choice of having different theme work this year and he still has not come up with anything. Z was ready the next day and is well in to his work with the Ocean. I am thinking of some Chemistry and some History for Mr 13.

Those beaches look divine. I do so love the less inhabited ones. Much more to my liking! :-)

Yeshe said...

Sounds great! Oh how I wish for a child who would follow a curriculum.

Yeshe said...

Looks great! Oh how I wish for a child who would follow a curriculum hehe.