We are a creative homeschooling family of 3. I have homeschooled my 2 boys from the start and we do lots of unit studies and get out into our beautiful part of the world as often as we can.
As the boys are getting older and we are getting busier I find I am posting less about our journey but will continue to update occasionally.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Venus of Willendorf

We popped over to stoneage Austria today to spend the day with Venus of Willendorf.

We sat outside and carved hebelstone using stone age tools.

Sticks and stones, teeth and bones
were gathered from the paddocks.

The boys had to find the sculpture inside the rocks

and the discussion was about big breasts and belly and the symbolism of fertility.

We moved inside and used some air drying white clay to model a Venus figure

The clay was stiff and hard to work with

and instead of chipping and carving away

we had to shape and model

To finish of our day with Venus

we drew her into our art journals


3 comments:

Kez said...

Cool! I never thought of using Hebel blocks...

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Good morning dear friend.
I have an award to share with you over on my blog.
http://serenadesandsolace.blogspot.com/2009/10/creative-blogger.html

5orangepotatoes said...

Oh, how I would have loved to hear that conversation!

They are wonderful!

lisa