We are a creative homeschooling family of 3. I have homeschooled my 2 boys from the start and we do lots of unit studies and get out into our beautiful part of the world as often as we can.
As the boys are getting older and we are getting busier I find I am posting less about our journey but will continue to update occasionally.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Great Decluttering

At this time of the year, when school is finished an the long hot summer is spread out in from of me I like to do a major declutter. It is amazing how much 'stuff' one accumulates. We are all hoarders in this family as well but all feel the benefits of a clean slate for the new year.

Being homeschoolers we generate heaps of stuff and although some of it can go- like the huge butterfly poster we made when studying insects that almost covered one small wall of our bathroom and was so pretty at the time- it is now a bit tatty and dusty.
A lot of our school work can be added into our lapbooks, where most of it is anyway, and some things like the life size Me Maps we made of both the boys that they want to keep- on the walls of their bedrooms.


As an added incentive this year we are having a house sitter come next week whilst we go on holiday so that has inspired us all to get in and make the house nice for our friends who will be staying here.

So I have sorted and cleaned the pantry, the boys have given the veranda a huge clean up and when I get out there, it will be a much quicker job.

Mr 9 is in his room working away- unfortunately I can't say happily.
Mr5 is just having his 4th or 5th breakfast and will be in his room shortly.
Our little man won't have to do too much as I get in there regularly
but big boy will have a much bigger job as I have not been in there for about three months,
and three months is a long time in a little boys life, lots of time to collect more books and national geographic's from the op shop, more interesting rocks, seeds and birds nests. More creations made from everything he can scrounge anywhere, and just more stuff he considers important. I will need to get in there later whilst we negotiate storage options and capacity. Luckily or maybe unluckily for us we have a big bus that we can use for storage of excess things we need to keep. The bus will need decluttering this break as well, but that can wait till after our holiday.
So still on my list are the laundry and the linen cupboard, my bed room and cleaning the oven and the windows.

A clean and sparkling space is such a lovely way to start the new year. It also gives you permission with yourself to take a well earned break-
something I know I need but sometimes have a hard time actually doing.
Letting go of all of this physical stuff
is also inspiration to let go of stuff that is cluttering up our selves as well.
As we are planning on attending a Summer Solstice Party
with a big ritual fire to let go of these things , so while we are decluttering our home
we are being mindful of what we will be letting go of this Solstice.

One other benefit of the great decluttering this year is it helps me think of other things besides my 2 best friends and their individual battles with cancer, and my upcomiong doctors check up.

No comments: