We are a creative homeschooling family of 3. I have homeschooled my 2 boys from the start and we do lots of unit studies and get out into our beautiful part of the world as often as we can.
As the boys are getting older and we are getting busier I find I am posting less about our journey but will continue to update occasionally.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Lets make Amber

Mr5 arrived in the kitchen recently with his hands full of tree sap from our plum tree.

"Look what I have got Mum"

"MMM that's nice, what is it?"

"Its sap and if we put it in some salt water and in the microwave we can make amber!"

"How will that work, darling?"

"The microwave will make it cook faster so we don't have to wait 64million years"

So on pondering this conversation I can see he understands how amber is created, that it takes time and happens at the bottom of the sea. OK he missed the bit about it being pine resin, but he has come up with an idea about how to bypass the eons of time needed to produce it, which is certainly an example of creative thinking- something I am rather big on! It also shows how much natural learning happens in a free mind- children are truly amazing!

No comments: